Tuesday 14 July 2009

Swimming Again

On Friday 10th I woke up early and decided to go for an early morning swim at the baths, about 7:30 to 8:30. I'd not been there that early before, and there were already quite a few people using the pool. I'll have to try to get into the routine, as I've missed out on going there regularly since they introduced free swimming for people over sixty.

The reason I hadn't been swimming in part was due to some bureaucratic problems over getting my card updated for this purpose, since I have neither a driving licence nor a passport, and without them apparently you don't exist. In lieu of these they wanted to see my birth certificate, which like me is now somewhat of an antique, and a utility bill. Once I'd got these all sorted out and took them to the desk however it turned out that they didn't need to see them after all!

I suppose this was a change of policy. Perhaps it followed my letter to the Hastings Observer a month or so ago in which I commented on the policy. However the editor seemed to think, from the headline given to my letter, that I was advocating free swimming for all, because I thought it might seem unfair to younger people particularly if they were out of work.

So far, since moving back to this area, I haven't been for a dip in the sea. I must get round to that before the summer weather ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment