Saturday 14 February 2009

First Thing This Morning ...

First thing this morning, around 8:30am, I had the rather surreal experience of seeing lots of quite large spheres floating by down the hill. This made me think of that TV series The Prisoner with the late Patrick McGoohan, who was pursued by a large white sphere whenever he tried to escape. Of course what I was seeing were soap bubbles. Who was producing them, further up the hill, I couldn't see.

As reported on Hastings Humanists blog I have now rejoined Facebook, though I've never got on very well with its workings. All my previous contacts in Leicester, and with family members, will have to be reestablished. Some of the systems seem to have been redesigned, such as having several different Friends lists, which seems sensible. But they still don't seem to have heard of Hastings, or St Leonards on Sea, as existent places, as opposed to other Hastingses in the USA.

There has been a lot of activity here today, with new tenants moving into the empty Flat 2 in the building where I now live. The people in Flat 4 also moved in recently. There seems to be a lot of rapid change. We still get lots of letters addressed to people who no longer live here. I put them back in the post for return to sender, marked "not known" or "gone away", but it takes a quite while to stop them.

3 comments:

  1. Did you tell your new neighbours about your varied interests ranging from mathematical recreations to atheism? They are lucky to have such a well read and talented neighbour like you. Alas, I can only envy them.

    Awani Kumar
    INDIA

    ReplyDelete
  2. For all I know they may be far more well read and talented than even I! Do your neighbours know that you were the first person to construct a diagonally magic 12x12 knight's tour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. George, you should not compare apple with oranges. Unlike Britain (which is a highly developed country), people in India (a developing country) mostly struggle to make two ends meet. So, no point in telling them about knight's tour etc which, any way, is not going to help them in getting their next meal.

    Even on individual level, my achievements are miniscule compared to yours. You have shown your talent in diverse fields ranging from mathematics to philosophy and whatever little I have achieved (in knight's tour), it is because of your encouragement, guidance and selfless help. I am indeed very grateful to you. In knight's tour domain, you are what Hardy was to Ramanujan. You may find this comparison a bit exaggerated but facts are facts.

    Awani Kumar
    INDIA

    ReplyDelete