Wednesday 4 February 2009

An Unproductive Morning with Power Cuts

There was a power cut here 7:45 - 9:15 this morning. Fortunately I still had some matches (instead of the electric spark) to light the gas to make coffee, wash and shave and boil milk for my breakfast cereal. That was the second power cut since I've been here, the other was on Saturday 24 January about 4:45 - 5:30 pm. The cuts affected the surrounding area, but I'm not sure for how far.

I went out about 11:30 intending to get a train to Lewes (as reported on my Hastings Humanists blog) but decided instead to go down King's Road to buy a paper, only to find the shops there all in darkness from another power cut. It didn't extend as far the shops at the bottom of London Road. When I went back for the paper the lights were on again.

Perhaps whoever looks after the electric supplies (National Grid?) are trying to share out the cuts among different areas. Or is this just a poorly connected area?

2 comments:

  1. Dear George,

    Power failure may be a news for you but it is quite common in India. Is UK going the India way?

    Awani Kumar
    INDIA

    ReplyDelete